I am currently a lash artist in Gilbert, Arizona at DollFace Lash Studio. I love it there. I have been there almost a year and here are the things I have learned in the process. Take them to heart.
1. It is a small world. It is so cliché saying this, I feel like I’m on the Disneyland ride and I can hear the song, “it’s a small world after all, its all small world after all…” (you’re welcome, now its stuck in your head too). But, I want to touch on the importance of being nice to everyone. There have been times that me or my client is talking about someone, and the deeper we go into the conversation, the sooner I realize… “Shoot, we know the same person”. Be nice to everyone that crosses your path, because in one way or another they will cross again. Next time you talk about someone, remember that it could possibly be that persons sister or cousin. My mom always used to say, “if the words you spoke were written on your body, what would it say”? I’m conviced my would have a lot of “frick, I love cheese, and I”m going to bed” all over it. ahahah.
2. People don’t bite, well, normal ones don’t. Go out of your way and learn about someone, their interests, their hobbies, their passions. Do they have kids? What makes them tick? What is their partner like? What is somthing they like about themselves? Care about people and they will appreciate that. It makes people feel special when you ask them questions and are genuinely interested in their life. You don’t have to be a lash artist to talk to people. Heck, I make friends at the grocery store all the time. “oh you like mangos? Me too! Where are you from?”. Next thing you know your gym buddies. Share your life with them, your passions, you time. It’s good for your soul, people, lets go.
3. Everyone is the same person. HAHAHAHAHA. That is the biggest lie I have ever told. E V E R Y O N E is different. From the way they look, to the way they talk. Respect the differences in others and appreciate their talents. I feel like with everything going on in the world right now, it is easy to use our differences to tear us apart and create wedges. This includes personalities, sexual preferences, gender, culture, political beliefs and so many other things. We should be owning our differences and using them to make us, our communities and our world stronger. It starts with respect and ends with love. Simple and easy. Lets work on it.
4. Eyelashes is very much a luxury. A lot of times women will take a “LASH BREAK” ohhhhhh the dreaded lash break. This is where we remove the extentions so your natural lashes can breathe until you get another set put on. It sucks going from like B O M B lashes to nothing, but you aren’t ugly without it. It is so common to hear people say they are ugly, or naked or “useless” with out lashes. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Eyelashes don’t make you pretty, they can make you comfortable, but not pretty. Baby girl, that is all you. Beauty is enhanced by lashes. You were given the gift of beauty when your mother pushed you out of her cervix, not the first time you got lashes. You are not ugly and you never have been. Embrace yourself with out any luxuries. Be you and let me and the other lash artists see that beauty in you and ENHANCE it. We aren’t miracle workers. I just see what I see and I pull that inner beauty and confidence out of you. Like little fans of confidence.
5. Taking time for yourself is important. Everyone needs their time to unwind and relax. My favorite way to relax is to have a dance party when I get home and then go to sleep with essential oils. Literally. My favorite. Getting eyelashes can be a break from reality for an hour and can help people really unwind. Come in stressed and leave with a smile on your face. Find that one thing that helps you unwind and stay consistent with it whether it be lashes or jujitsu. I support you.
6. Show up early and give your full attention to the present moment. Don’t worry about what you have to do or the load of laundry you need to do at home. Be in the moment and be happy. Show up and never give up. Put 1% more effort into every aspect of your life and live in the present moment.
7. Be happy and grateful for what you have and not what you could have. It is SO EASY TO COMPARE OURSELVES TO OTHERS. STOP, JUST FREAKING STOP. OKAY? Look down, you have everything you need right here. A voice, literally and figuratively, a body, and a soul. When it comes down to it, everyone has that. It is up to us what we do with it. Kylie Jenner and Kim K. are not better than you because they have more decorations. Be happy for where you are, what you have and where you are going.
8. Be honest in all your doings. Honesty goes a long way. Literally.
9. Money is not the goal. Stop trying to earn money, and instead try to earn knowledge and smiles, because in the end its not the paychecks you remember but how you got them. Did you learn? Did you make people feel good about themselves? You got this.
10. Everyone needs a friend and a good laugh. Nuff said. Be a friend. Laugh at the silly stupid things and don’t take yourself to seriously.
If you live in the Gilbert area, book with me (Raylee) at https://www.dollfacelashstudioaz.com/ I would love to meet you and enhance your beauty. If not, save the things you liked to your camera roll.
I N S T A G R A M: @Raylee1299