Although it is not #Toasttuesday, I just like can’t wait to talk about my favorite toast recipes. Toast is my favorite breakfast and snack when it comes to eating healthy. It something that is so versatile and easy. It allows limitless possibilities, tastes and flavors. All it takes is a little creativity😊 Here are my current favorite, healthy toast recipes. Below them I listed other alternatives that you can add to each of the recipes… and the health benefits of each of these ingredients.
**** Macros are included (Fat, Carbohydrate, Protein)
Honey, I’m Bananas For You Toast:
1 Slice of Ezekiel 4:9 Low sodium sprouted whole grain bread. (Macros: 0.5f, 14c, 4p)
½ of banana (Macros: 0.19f, 13.48c, 0.64p)
½ tablespoon of honey (Macros: 0f, 17.3c, 0.06p)
Pinch of cinnamon (Macros: less than a gram)
Optional: chia seeds and/or blueberries
1. Toast Ezekiel Bread to your liking
2. Spread a thin layer of the honey on the bread
3. Following the honey, cut slices of the banana and layer them directly on top of the honey
4. Pinch cinnamon all over the banana toast
5. Plate, sit down and feast.
Benefits of Ezekiel Bread:
You know the saying “whiter the bread, the faster your dead”? I came up with a saying of my own… “Choose sprouted bread, you’ll be more well fed”. Sprouted Bread is a healthy alternative to white bread or whole wheat bread. Sprouted grain bread is better not only because it uses the whole grain, but the process sprouted grains go through actually breaks down the proteins and carbohydrates in the grain, increasing vitamin content to the consumer. Enzymes are released during the sprouting process, which break down proteins and carbohydrates. This process helps make sprouted grain food low glycemic and easier to digest. Traditional grain breads are harder to digest, and the body loses a good portion of the nutrients because it is unable to digest them. Sprouted grain breads provide the body with grain that has already been broken down due to the enzymes that exist in the living sprouted grain. Nutrients are absorbed immediately into the body, and are not lost in the digestive process. These known health benefits include: increased digestibility, increased absorption of minerals, increased antioxidants, and increased vitamin C and vitamin B. This bread has to be refrigerated (which means they will be in the refrigerated section at stores), however it can be toasted or heated up for meals.
Benefits of Bananas:
– Bananas are a very rich source of potassium, which can lower blood pressure.
– Can help MILDLY treat asthma in children
– Due to the dietary fiber in bananas, it can help smooth bowel movements and treat constipation. Which in return can help prevent Colon cancer
– Good source of nutrients for Diabetics, as it lowers blood pressure and has a lot of dietary fiber
– The amino acid tryptophan in bananas plays a vital role in boosting mood and preserving memory. Additionally, magnesium helps relax muscles and vitamin B6 helps you sleep well.
– Treats anemia. Anemia, more common in women, is the lack of iron within the body, bananas have high counts of iron and are a better alternative than red meat.
– Although Banana is high in carbs, it contains little to no fat, therefore it is a great thing to eat 30-40 minutes before a long walk or for breakfast and this can aid in weight loss. (however be careful of the carbs because too many can result in weight gain. ONe a day is fine)
– Bananas are also linked to an increased absorption of calcium. Calcium is the most important element in the production and regrowth of bone matter in the body. It reduces our chances of getting affected by osteoporosis and natural weakness.
– Bananas are anti-inflammatory, help with vison and kidney function as well
Benefits of Honey:
– Honey is a healthy sweetener, containing approximately 69% Glucose and Fructose, which make it a better option than white sugar
– Though it has more calories than sugar when consumed with warm water, honey helps in digesting the fat stored in your body. Similarly, honey with lemon juice or cinnamon helps in reducing weight.
– Because it is carbohydrate, it boosts your energy
– Recent research has shown that honey is an excellent ergogenic aid and helps in boosting the performance of athletes. It is a great way to maintain blood sugar levels, recuperate muscles, and restore glycogen after a workout, as well as regulate the amount of insulin in the body.
– It has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties, so it is often used as a natural antiseptic in traditional medicines.
– Very effective In the removal of free radicals from the body
** The honey I am talking about is NOT the commercial processed liquid from Walmart, I am talking about RAWWWWWW honey, where you have to bring a jar to get it from the bees hive. However, certain brands of raw honey similar to that can be found at sprouts.
***** ANOTHER SIDE NOTE. If you ever burn yourself, with a hot glue gun, or a water burn or stove burn, anything. Put honey on a Band-Aid and apply it directly to the skin, the antiseptic and healing properties in honey take the oxygen out from the burn and heal the wound at a much faster rate.
Benefits of Cinnamon:
-Cinnamon has a high concentration of powerful antioxidants, including the active ingredient, cinnamaldehyde, as well as catechins, cyanide, and other important compounds. These antioxidants are ideal for neutralizing free radicals, the dangerous byproducts of cellular metabolism. In normal words: bye bye cancer.
Berry, Berry Good Toast:
1 Slice of Ezekiel 4:9 Cinnamon Raisin Sprouted Whole Grain Bread ( Macros: 0f, 18c, 3p) 1/2 cup of fresh strawberries ( Macros: 0.23f, 5.84c, 0.51p) 20 grams of Justin’s Chocolate Hazelnut Butter Bread ( Macros: 8.75f, 7.5c, 2.5p)
Optional: Drizzle Honey on top, or sprinkle cinnamon
- Toast the Ezekiel Bread to your liking
- Spread the 20 grams of Hazelnut spread evenly over it
- slice fresh strawberries into halves until you have a cup
- place the strawberries on top of the hazelnut spread
- take a #foodie picture, drool and enjoy
Benefits of Strawberries:
- provide a lot of nutrients namely calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper and many more.
- Strawberry contains antioxidants which fights infections and prevents malfunctioning of the cells in the body. Strawberries also contain amounts of Vitamin-C, which itself acts as an antioxidant helping in preventing inflammatory action and free radicals.
- Rich source of potassium, fiber, folate, Vitamin-C, antioxidants and flavonoids makes it a wonder food to combat heart diseases.
- They help in the reduction of bad cholesterol (LDL) in the body.
- Vitamin-D in strawberries also helps in making the heart muscle strong and efficient.
- Anthocyanins and Ellagic acid in strawberries helps from various brain and neurological problems as they inhibit the entry of free radicals which are the prime source for the declining of brain activities.
This recipe has very limited ingredients and is a good “indulge” meal (: Scroll up for the benefits of Sprouted Bread.
Look! It’s an Avocado Toast:
1 slice of Ezekiel 4:9 Sesame Sprouted Whole Grain Bread (Macros: 0.5f, 14c, 4p) 40 Grams of Hass Avocado (Macros: 6.4f, 3.2c, 0.53p) 40 grams of Tomatoes ( Macros: 0.08f, 1.57c, 0.35p) pinch of turmeric
Optional: Somtimes I switch the Tomatoes for an egg, or egg whites. It is just as good, just more protein and it is more filling.
- Toast the Ezekiel Bread to your liking
- mash the avocado and spread it into a thin layer over your toast
- chop the tomatoes into cubes or smaller sections and layer them over the avocado
- sprinkle turmeric on top
- smell it, stare at it and indulge
Benefits of Avocado:
- Helps you maintain a healthy heart by balancing some chemicals in your body that are linked to heart disease
- Avocado is rich in a compound called beta-sitosterol which has been shown to be effective in lowering blood cholesterol levels.
- Avocado is also a great source in potassium, which helps in monitoring blood pressure level
- Very anti- inflammatory and nutritious for your body
- Avocado is rich in folate, a B vitamin commonly known as folic acid. One cup of avocado provides about 23% of the recommended daily value of folate. The high amount of folate in avocado is essential in the prevention of birth defects, such as neural tube defect and spina bifida.
- The high levels of folate in avocado may also protect against stroke.
- Has anti aging properties
- Avocado is one of the best natural mouth wash and bad breath remedies. It cleanses intestine which is the real cause of coated tongue and bad breath.
- Avocado intake is linked with an increased nutrient absorption.
Benefits of Tomatoes:
- Regular consumption of tomatoes can provide relief from gallstones. Daily consumption of tomatoes fulfills the requirement of vitamins and minerals and exerts an overall protective effect on the body.
- Tomato intake reduces the incidence of urinary tract infections, as well as bladder cancer. This is because tomatoes are high in water content, which can stimulate urination; hence, they are a diuretic.
- Tomatoes aid in maintaining healthy teeth, bones, hair, and skin. Topical application of tomato juice is even known to cure severe sunburns.
- Decrease Blood Pressure
- Tomatoes keep the digestive system healthy by preventing both constipation and diarrhea.
- Vitamin A, present in tomatoes, aids in improving vision and preventing night-blindness and macular degeneration. Vitamin A is a powerful antioxidant that can be formed from an excess of beta-carotene in the body. A lot of vision problems occur due to the negative effects of free radicals and vitamin A, being a powerful antioxidant, can help prevent them.
- Counter the effect of smoking cigarettes
- Protect the heart through the rich source of vitamins and minerals.
Benefits of Turmeric:
- Curcumin, the active ingredient found within turmeric that offers most of the health benefits, has been shown to help suppress the growth of fat tissues within your body.
- Turmeric has been shown to have promising effects on the prevention of Alzheimer’s Disease, though research is still ongoing.
- As a natural anti-inflammatory agent, turmeric can help reduce joint and muscle pain.
- Turmeric and also aid in digestion and treat bowel disease
- By neutralizing free radicals, curcumin can help your bones and muscle work as normal and cells operate as they need to. This reduces pain and inflammation and, over time, stops you from causing more damage to your bones and joints. ( in many cases can help relieve arthritis)
- The agents in turmeric can also prevent certain types of cancer
- Lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure and protect your heart
- The liver is an extremely important organ, and though it is technically capable of regenerating some parts of itself, it still needs to be taken care of.
Studies have shown that curcumin could actually prevent liver cirrhosis. This natural chemical has been shown to be effective in repairing damaged liver tissues, according to research from Israel.
- Turmeric has long been used in Pakistan and India to solve common health problems, including stomach pain. This ancient usage has since been proven to be completely effective, as the turmeric is able to relieve internal pain and dyspepsia.
Look at what your putting into your body. It is crazy to think that food has this much effect on our body, good and bad. Take the recipes, try them and comment below how they taste! Post a picture on Instagram or Facebook and tag me in it: @Raylee1299 or Raylee Dieu. Save what you like to your camera roll and keep sharing!
I N S T A G R A M: @Raylee1299